Thursday, November 17, 2011

Baby in Bed with Butcher Knife Ad Generates National Reactions

We've all heard that sleeping with your baby in bed with you is somewhat risky.  Soft blankets, a soft mattress, parents rolling on top of their babies...there are plenty of ways a child could suffocate and die by co-sleeping (and many children have).  Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is more common in co-sleeping families (babies in same bed as parents).

The city of Milwaukee is taking it one step further by scaring the $#% out of people by releasing these ads.  Equating a child sleeping in an adult bed to sleeping with a butcher knife.  Wow.

I'll admit it, as a breastfeeding-on-demand Mom, I sometimes lay my son next to me in bed in the middle of the night and we fall asleep together.  Call me an insane demon if you want, Milwaukee.  (Note--I do move pillows away from his face, he is not covered or twisted in our sheets, and our mattress is pretty firm--love our Tempur-pedic.  But I digress).

Here's the press release.  And here is CNN's video story about it.

What do you think?  Appropriate?  Too extreme?

No comments: